Check out this recipe for Tomato Pie - yes you read it correctly -Tomato Pie! This is not a traditional sweet pie but a savoury dish using fresh local tomatoes, onions and basil!
1 pre-made pie shell
4-6 medium tomatoes, chopped and drained
1 onion diced
10 basil leaves finely chopped
1 cup of real mayonnaise
1 tbsp hot sauce
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Chop tomatoes and let drain for approximately 20 minutes squeezing as much juice out of them as possible - this will ensure that your pie is not runny.
2. Pre-heat oven to 375 F and bake pre-made pie shell for 7-8 minutes. Remove to cool for 5 minutes. You can make your own pie crust too if you have the skills.
3. Chop onion and place on the bottom of the pie crust.
4. Place drained tomatoes in pie crust on top of the onions.
5. Finely chop basil leaves and add to the pie crust.
6. In a separate bowl mix grated cheese, mayonnaise, and hot sauce. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the mixture.
7. Spread the cheese and mayonnaise mixture on top of the pie.
8. Bake at 375 F for 35-40 minutes until topping is browned. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
9. Enjoy as a main course or a side dish!